Network Engineer - Department of Technology
Under the general direction of the Information Technology Manager I (IT Manager I) of the Network Engineering Architecture services, the Information Technology Specialist II (IT Spec II) works independently, or as a part of a team as the recognized technical specialist. The IT Spec II works with the California Department of Technology’s (CDT) customers and technical staff in designing, architecting, planning, and implementing complex CDT’s Service Wide Area Network (WAN), Metropolitan Area Network (MAN), the Local Area Network (LAN) and all network services, in support of CDT’s Data Center.
The IT Spec II will be responsible for the engineering and architecture of large scale networks, evaluating new technologies, designing, maintaining, and supporting new/existing infrastructure environments and providing leadership and guidance for network equipment refreshes, as well as, helping to resolve network-related problems to ensure that the California Department of Technology can support customer network services. The IT Spec II will provide Tier 3 technical support at the mastery level, which will include working incidents that are escalated, providing on-the-job training, coordinate and creating documentation.
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
- Must pass a fingerprint background criminal record check completed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). This position requires an additional background check for DOJ to protect their interests.
- Periodic overtime, weekends, holidays, or on-call status may occasionally be required to meet business needs.
- The position will require some work to be completed after normal core business hours.
- Travel between OTech campuses and State of California customer locations may be required.
- Occasionally monitor a Department issued mobile phone.
- Ability to move up to 50 lbs.
You will find the Minimum Requirements in the Class Specification.
- Technical certification programs such as: CCNA, CCNP, JNCPIA-Junos, JNCIP-ENT.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent network experience.
- Expert knowledge of one or more network protocols such as: EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS, TCP/P, SNA, Frame Relay, Spanning Tree, etc.
- Ambitious, highly motivated, self-starter, reliable, dependable, multi-tasking, team player.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work productively with technical and non-technical staff, vendors, management and executives independently and in team environments.
- Working knowledge and ability to configure and troubleshoot inter-network services on routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers and sniffers.
- Experience planning, implementing, verifying and troubleshooting data center enterprise networks.
- Information technology systems (software) programming, equipment and its capabilities and interfaces between hardware and software.
- The requirements for the installation and implementation of the most complex information technology software systems.
Job Code #: JC-231186
Working Title: Network Engineer
Classification: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST II