Principal Software Engineer (Remote)-Red Hat
The Red Hat OpenShift team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join us in Boston, MA. In this role, you will help guide the continued progress of the Red Hat OpenShift offering. As part of the OpenShift team, you’ll need to have a passion for technology and development, balanced with the responsibility of running a hosted service. You’ll offer a service that will change how development is done, using the benefits of Red Hat’s technologies and services hosted in the cloud. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll need to be inquisitive and motivated, but also able to collaborate with others and more than willing to help make them successful. You’ll also need to be well spoken and have excellent written language skills in English, which you will use to communicate with other Red Hat OpenShift engineers located across the globe.
Primary job responsibilities
- Serve as a senior-level engineering contributor to the Red Hat OpenShift Routing and DNS sub-systems
- Make updates to key components within the Red Hat OpenShift networking infrastructure
- Contribute design, changes, revisions, updates, and maintenance to this infrastructure, as well as other core parts of the Red Hat OpenShift infrastructure which manage the routing and DNS characteristics of the offering
- Solid Linux experience, including administration of a single machine and creation and use of containers
- Experience with networking and internet technologies, including TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP and associated protocols, L4 and L7 load balancing solutions, or HAProxy; familiarity with other high-level protocols is a plus
- Experience with Go
- Solid experience with programming in an UNIX environment
- 5+ years of programming experience
- Experience working on a large, complex, and deployed software offering
- Experience in software design and architectural design
- Ability to write specifications
- Ability to divide specifications into subtasks
- Ability to guide others with technical implementation
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with agile methodologies
- Experience working with source control and bug tracking; Git, Jira, or Bugzilla are a plus
The following are considered a plus:
- Experience with at least one major cloud provider, ideally Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with a container orchestration technology, ideally Kubernetes
- Experience working with Kubernetes upstream
- Contributions to open source projects in HTTP (server, proxy, or client), IP failover, container, or DNS (server or client) space
- History of contributing to open source projects
- Master’s degree in computer science
About Red Hat
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of enterprise open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to deliver reliable and high-performing Linux, hybrid cloud, container, and Kubernetes technologies. Red Hat helps customers integrate new and existing IT applications, develop cloud-native applications, standardize on our industry-leading operating system, and automate, secure, and manage complex environments. Award-winning support, training, and consulting services make Red Hat a trusted adviser to the Fortune 500. As a strategic partner to cloud providers, system integrators, application vendors, customers, and open source communities, Red Hat can help organizations prepare for the digital future.
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.